Pages

14 January 2013

weekend sewing

I'm sewing with the new Janome - yes, I packed up the old faithful Elna (sniff) and put her away and set up Jilly the Janome !

the first block I sewed was the halloween block that I needed to applique and I used the blanket stitch which went pretty well - just don't look too closely at the zig zag chimney - I definitely need some practice!


then I sewed the binding on Lucy's pram cover and also made the strip ties and she sewed like a dream!  This is my a lovely year of finishes project for January - just need to hand sew the binding and sew on the ties so I should make the deadline !


I love the extension table - its nice and big and made sewing the binding on very easy.  My only issue is that it sits a bit higher than the Elna so when I put my chair higher my legs sit firmly under the drawers of the table - so I might have to find another table at some stage but for now I'll cope !


I also finished a couple of craftsy blocks - only one more to do!

The friendship circle block - its paper pieced and its a block that I've fallen in love with - I can see a whole quilt made from this block.



and the wonky log cabin block - I had used a fabric for the centre that looked terrible when it was finished a while ago so I unpicked it all and used a plain centre - its still not my favourite block but hopefully it will blend in with the others !


and then I sewed a border on an old embroidery that I'm going to make into a cushion.


Its a candlewick embroidery block that I made years ago - finished in 1998 to be precise - I've even dated it (bottom right!).  My excuse is that I was waiting for the perfect fabric to frame it and I think I've pretty much found it.


I'd been thinking about making some cushions for my couch for a little while and when I pulled one of the boxes out of the garage recently and opened it up I found some half made or started cushions from quite a few years ago, this being one of them!  I'm planning to get the others done very soon :)

Linking up to A Lovely Year of Finishes mid month check-in!

9 comments:

  1. I think someone is in love! You have bonded well with your new machine - obviously, with all the productivity and creativity going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your year of finishes is off to a terrific start!! Gorgeous, gorgeous projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you and the new ,achine are obviously going o be good friends! The fabric for the embroidery is perfect, I had to double take: I thought you'd copied the fabric to design the embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're on a roll with a bunch a little finishes, and they're perfectly lovely. I like that FPP Friendship Circle block too! Even more, I love knowing that you know what candlewicking is! Goodness. That takes me back, to about 1990 when I made an entire candlewicked quilt. Muslin fabric with ivory candlewicking thread and bordered with lace... I still have that quilt, though it's never used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on finishing your January project! I also have a Janome and adore it - I am sure you will continue to love yours as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... that's a lot of sewing! You pram quilt is very cute.
    And congratulations on the Janome! I absolutely adore mine. :)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popping by from the Mid Month link up over at Lovely Year of Finishes.
    Such fun!
    Great progress.
    Kind regards
    Liz DandeliondD
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That crazy Halloween block is really a wiz. Not only the ghostly house but the background batty material. Reminds me of the fruit bats in the evening sky in Darwin.
    Dad.

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment ♥